Monday, July 25, 2016

All Growed Up

Well hello there! It's been a while hasn't it? This should come as a surprise to...really no one. I am an unreliable narrator and terrible at Sudoku. One of those things is relevant though I'm not quite sure which one...

So it's been over two years since I graced your computer screens with the output of my brain in the form of words that have been loosely arranged into something comprehensible. If you're still with me after the ridiculousness of that sentence then kudos to you. I almost gave up on me just then.

What have I been up to these 26 months? I got a new job where I'm no longer traveling for work which is kind of a mixed bag. I have difficulty maintaining elite status with hotels and airlines but I also recognize my family so there's that. What else.....

I GOT MARRIED!!! Wait what? So I jumped the gun on that but totally stoked. Let me back up here. I started dating my wife shortly after I left my last job. Last summer I had the chance to go to London and Poland for work so I dragged/drug/drugged her along with me. We got engaged under the statue of Eros* in Piccadilly Circus on our last night in London and then went out in search of Platform 9 3/4. All about priorities I am. So I'm now engaged which leads me to my next bit of news...

WE'RE HAVING A BABY!!! TOMORROW!!! Surprise! Again totally not making this up. So that came about shortly after we got engaged and my fiance, now wife, went to the doctor and told them that we wanted to try to have kids. Their advice was to try for 6-9 months, plenty of time to plan a wedding, and come back for testing if we weren't properly with child. We did it in 3 months. Go team! Timeline totally screwed up with that one. The emphasis here is that our kid was 100% planned, not an accident or anything like that. I shouldn't have to put that here but you know how people talk.  It was the wedding that was not 100% planned but came about due to necessity...

The pregnancy has been a rough one. Not to go into too many details here but we've had a few scares along the way that made both of us reevaluate the whole getting married whilst pregnant thing. Again it was mostly because no matter how planned it is, and how adorable a pregnant lady looks in a wedding dress, there's still this judgemental thing lingering. Because of the complications that we had throughout it became more important to legally seal the deal as it were. Mostly if something happened with her or the baby I would be a passive observer if we weren't married and that was scarier than judgemental stares or conversations being had about us behind our backs. Like any good kids in love we did the most logical thing and booked a wedding in Las Vegas. Now if the first thing that springs to your mind is a drive-through with a singing Elvis you're not alone. We didn't go that route. Turns out there are some very nice hotels with very nice wedding packages sans Elvi (I believe that is the plural of Elvis) that you would actually want to remember. We did that complete with wedding photography and everything. And we have no regrets. In fact, the night we were supposed to head out to Vegas we spent in the hospital instead. Damn complications.We got everything moved around and had a pretty memorable weekend. And we got a story out of it. We're headed to the hospital in the morning for an induction, which does not involve cook tops of any kind, and presumably some time tomorrow our son will be born. Pretty cool huh?

So why the gap in writing and the lack of social media goodness? I got tired. I needed to get my house in order and figure out some stuff. Along the way I started worrying less and just enjoying the ride which for me is huge. I also realize that I might want to post stuff about what is presumably the most awesome baby to every exist ever and I needed to provide some context. People like context. I'd hate to have you read this thing and think that in two years I had started baby-napping (like stealing babies, not napping in cribs which actually doesn't sound all that horrible). I'm also betting that I'm about to have a whole bunch of material to write about. 

I think that is a loose approximation of the current state of affairs. A lot to take in right? It's ok I'll wait...Good? Great. I won't promise that I'll update regularly because we all know how that works out but I will at least consider it...if I want to...I guess. Till next time. Adios y'all.

*The statue in Piccadilly Circus is actually of Anteros and not Eros. At least that's what Wikipedia said when I looked it up as a refresher. Who knows? We did get engaged there though and I have a picture to prove it. And so do the Japanese tourists we accidentally photo bombed.

No comments: